Over 100 Years
Star of Hope has served the poor in Paterson in the truth and the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ since 1913.
Our history is rich in gospel proclamation, in relationships with churches, pastors, community leaders, families from all walks of life, and in ministry to the poor and to those in need. Consider a few of the places where Star of Hope has been privileged to go, a few people it has had the privilege to know, and a few of the ways it has been privileged to serve in the past 100 years*:
- 50 years of visits to and Gospel Services for the men and women in Passaic County Jail and the Boy’s Department in the Jail.
- Thousands of children over 50 years attending Vacation Bible Schools, Backyard Bible Clubs, Summer Bible Day Camp and Camp Streamside.
- 70 years of weekly visits and ministry in Preakness Hospital, the Florence Crittenton Home, the City Hospital, the Holland Home, the Christian Sanitorium and in many other hospitals in the area.
- 60 years of Saturday evening Gospel Services. 100’s in attendance at each service with guest speakers such as Dr. Vernon Grounds, Dr. H. A. Ironside, Jack Wyrtzen, Dr. D. G. Barnhouse, and many other nationally- and internationally- renowned speakers.
- Relationships and collaborative work with more than 250 churches in Greater Paterson.
- Sending more than 75 Missionaries and their families into full-time missionary service throughout the world.
- Hosting the Christian Community Development Association and the Leadership Summit to train pastors and community leaders. Each of the Paterson leaders was able to sit under the teaching ministry of Dr. John Perkins, Dr. Raleigh Washington, Dr. Robert Bakke, Coach and Pastor Wayne Gordon, Bill Hybels and many others.
- In partnership with the New York Giants coordinating Pro-Challenges at 3 area High Schools so that young men and women from Paterson could hear the Gospel and the life story of many Pro Football players. More than 500 in attendance at each event.
- Distribution of more than $30 million of resources including cars, computers, food, furniture, clothing and toys to thousands of individuals and families.
*Some of the names of institutions and programs are no longer in existence. They are listed as they were to reflect on the work of the past.
Star of Hope has many historical pictures. Please feel free to visit us if you would like to see our historical gallery and pictures.